What is it?
JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel is a colorless hyaluronic acid gel that is injected into facial tissue to smooth wrinkles and folds, especially around the nose and mouth. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring sugar found in the human body. The role of hyaluronic acid in the skin is to deliver nutrients, hydrate the skin by holding in water, and to act as a cushioning agent.
What does it do?
JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel temporarily adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face.
How is it used?
JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel is injected into areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur. JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel temporarily adds volume to the skin and may give the appearance of a smoother surface.
What will it accomplish?
JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel will help to smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Most patients need one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing, and the results last about six months.
What are possible side effects?
Most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common side effects include but are not limited to temporary injection site reactions such as: redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration. As with all skin injection procedures there is a risk of infection.
Are there any reasons why I should not receive JUVÉDERM™ Ultra injectable gel?
Your physician will ask about your medical history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for treatment. JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus injectable gel should not be used in patients who have:
- Severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies
- Patients with a history of allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins
What should my physician advise me about?
The following are important treatment considerations for you to discuss with your physician and understand in order to help avoid unsatisfactory results and complications.
- Patients who are using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, as with any injection, may experience increased bruising or bleeding at injection site. You should inform your physician before treatment if you are using these types of substances.
- If laser treatment, chemical peeling or any other procedure based on active dermal response is considered after treatment with JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus injectable gel, there is a possible risk of an inflammatory reaction at the treatment site.
- JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy, or therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel for use during pregnancy, in breastfeeding females or in patients under 18 years has not been established.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel in patients with a history of excessive scarring (e.g. hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders has not been studied.
What should my physician warn me about?
The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM™ Ultra Plus injectable gel for the treatment of areas other than facial wrinkles and folds (such as lips) have not been established in controlled clinical studies.
Learn about JUVÉDERM™, a “next generation” smooth gel dermal filler by visiting JUVÉDERM™ Injectable Gel Web Site*Photo source: Juvederm.com